The seat of the ancient Tuohy's was Aughrim (Irish: Eachroim, meaning "horse ridge") a small village in County Galway, Ireland. It is located in the midlands of Ireland, between the towns of Loughrea and Ballinasloe, along the N6 national primary road that connects Galway and Dublin.
Its place in history is assured as it was here that the Marquis de St Ruth prepared the Irish troops for the Battle of Aughrim during the Williamite war in Ireland was fought on July 12,1691. The battle was the bloodiest ever fought on Irish soil – over 7,000 people were killed. It meant the effective end of Jacobitism in Ireland, although the city of Limerick held out until the autumn of 1691.
According to the Irish census of 2002, the village had a population of 546.
Aughrim castle, which caugh the worst of the battle, was an O'Kelly (Hy Maine) stronghold.